Manos Achalinotopoulos: Greek, Balkan music & clarinet / 2nd Period / 18 – 22 Apr.
In this seminar we will study and broaden the modal structures of the Balkan and mediterranean area as an art action regarding the interpretation of greek folk clarinet, other instruments from Balkan and greek musical traditions and basically of human voice. The seminar is addressed to clarinet players, but also to all musicians and singers interested in Balkan and Greek music
More precisely we will examine:
– The different Schools of Interpretation
– The historical and sectional study
– The Makams, ways and archaic modal structures.
– The modifications and interactions with neighbor musical cultures.
– Rythms, dances and their functions.
– Populism – Nationalisms and local musical traditions.
– The basic techniques of ‘emboucheur’ and finger position in relation with modal structures.